Thursday, March 30, 2006

Probably the wrong answer


....but instead of doing the blocking and finishing work on all the yarn ends for the Dale sweater, I pulled out an OLD UFO, based on the Plymouth Encore Bunting pattern.

Everything but the button-bands are done (even yarn is woven in on it. For me, that is AMAZING!)

Here is a pic off the pattern. It can button as a sack, or with legs, making it easier to use with the harness in the car-seat. And for diaper-changes.

Then I pulled three balls of Wendy Merino DK in a pale grey-blue from my stash, and am using it for an infant v-neck/raglan cardigan. I like the pattern because it is seamless. Lower body is one piece, sleeves are done on DPNs, then on to the raglan and v-neck decreases. Definitely my kind of construction. I figure two more hours or less, and everything but the button-band will be done. Who knows, maybe even the button-band will be done in that time too?
http://knitting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://knitlist.com/96gift/giftlutzlingsweater.htm

BTW, may I say I really, REALLY like this Wendy Merino DK. I must have picked it up 8 years ago from a clearance bin... It is superwash, medium to firm twist and not too stretchy. Dry finish. The stitches show up very evenly.

I have Rubbermaid bin full of various baby sport and DK yarns, and another of the infamous Lion Brand Jaime baby-yarn. Being discontinued, there are not many patterns still out there for it. I know they label it as sport-weight, but it feels more fingering-weight to me. Just have to do some swatches, decide what my gauge with it is, and look through my books and on the web for some free patterns.

Baby clothes are cute, they work up relatively quickly, but I hate making them. Especially for non-family gifts. The child out-grows them so fast, and after all that hard work, will it be kept as an heirloom, or will it be tossed out for Uncle Sal (Salvation Army)?

No comments: